- Ministry of Rural Development‘s (MoRD), Government of India directly targeted poor families for creation of assets and self employment started with Integrated Rural Development Programme (IRDP) in the year 1980.
- A major reform took place in 1999, when IRDP was transformed into Swarnjayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana (SGSY). Self-employment through organizing poor into Self Help Groups (SHGs) emerged as the new strategy of poverty reduction. A review of SGSY brought into focus certain shortcomings like vast regional variations in mobilization of rural poor.
- Many of the BPL households still needed to be organized into SHGs. Even the existing SHGs needed further strengthening and greater financial support. It was in this background, Government approved the restructuring of the SGSY as the National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) in June 2011.
- NRLM‘s mandate is to reach out to all the poor families, build their capacity to source and utilize the source to leverage institutional credit and link them to sustainable livelihoods opportunities and nurture them till they come out of poverty and enjoy a decent quality of life. Throughout the country this is known as Aajeevika and in West Bengal it is Anandadhara.
- NRLM Mission is “To reduce poverty by enabling the poor households to access gainful self-employment and skilled wage employment opportunities, resulting in appreciable improvement in their livelihoods on a sustainable basis, through building strong grassroots institutions of the poor.” ABOUT SHGs UNDER ANANDADHARA
- Self Help Group (SHG) shall be an informal, self managed homogenous and voluntary group of 10-20 women of a neighbourhood engaged in credit and saving activities which operates on the principle of mutuality and solidarity.
- The SHG is to be formed with the objective of group economic activity. Once the group is in place they have to follow norms called Panchasutras which includes Regular meetings; Regular savings; Regular inter-loaning; Timely repayment; and Up-to-date books of accounts
- The Functions of SHG are
- Savings and Thrift
- Internal lending and
- Discussing problems
- Undertake small micro-enterprise
- Social awareness and development
- For the SHGs there is
- Opening of savings bank account
- Assessment of the SHG: based on the ‘Panchasutras’ through the Grading exercise where after 6 months, they get RF Rs.15,000/- and are Credit Linked after getting CC of up to 1.5 lac. They engage in micro enterprise and after right transaction in between 6 months to 1 year, the SHG will appear in Subsequent /Repeat Grading and their CC limit will enhance up to 2.5 lacs. and it continues up to 5 times. According to SLBC 137th and 138th decision NRLM compliant SHGs shall be Cl for Fresh cases Rs. 1.5 lacs and Renewal/enhancement/Repeat to the tune of Rs. 2.5lacs and Rs.3.5lacs minimum and eligible for Interest Subvention.
- The Government provides Interest Subvention (IS) which is deduction of 7% from Bank charged interest for SHG loans.
|Total No. of SHG Formed||15791|
|Total No of SHG completed 1st Gradation||13834|
|Total No. of SHG taken up Economic Activity after 1st Gradation||13834|
|Total No. of Federation Formed||5|
|Total No. of Cluster Formed||64|
|Total No of household||432476|
|Total No of BPL (Excl. Municipality)||191888|
STATUS OF DMMU, DAKSHIN DINAJPUR
Total No. of Maha Sangha : 5
Total No. of Sangha : 64
Total No. of Upa Sangha : 934
Information of SHG formation: Dakshin Dinajpur District
Total No. of SHGs formed under SGSY: 11033 (Up to 31st March, 2018)
Total No. of SHGs formed under NRLM : 4758
Total no. of SHG: 15791
No. of SC SHG: 7524
No. of ST SHG: 2745
No. of Min. SHG: 2989
No. of House Hold covered: 160238
No. of SC House Hold covered: 59430
No. of ST House Hold covered: 29851
No. of Min. House Hold covered: 38542
Grading of Self-Help-Group: Dakshin Dinajpur District
Total no. SHG 1st graded: 13834 (SGSY 10086 + NRLM 3748)
No. Of SHGs that have received RF: 12142 (SGSY 10086 + NRLM 2056)
No. of SHG credit linked after 1st grade: 10431
There is no provision for 2nd Grading and Project Linkage under NRLM and also for Capital Subsidy
Source:DMMU, Dakshin Dinajpur(Upto March 2018)
Even though Dakshin Dinajpur is a non-intensive District, Harirampur and Hili development block has been selected by WBSRLM as Model Block which will be treated as Intensive block with NGO and SPADE for Hili.
In the FY 2018-19, all Blocks under Dakshin Dinajpur will be converted to Intensive Blocks thereby, gaining Intensive District status (Category I)
The SHGs have a major role to play in shaping the socio-economic sphere within their communities. The main idea is for the empowerment of women thereby, resulting in their emancipation. Women can influence change within the society through the platform of social and economic development. As part of Monthly Awareness Programmes, these include:
- Sanitation campaign
- Health : Polio awareness, Pre and post natal care, child nutrition awareness
- Assisting in Anganwari centres
- Awareness about Women and Child trafficking
- Drug abuse awareness